Oldham, Li & Nie’s Corporate Law Practice Group is staffed by Hong Kong qualified and experienced lawyers and works closely with top corporate law firms around the world to assist in domestic and cross-border transactions. We have a system in place to handle this.
We work with a wide range of clients, from individuals, SMEs to international corporations, and are especially good at advising companies seeking a presence in Hong Kong and mainland China.
We are committed to providing our clients with the highest quality legal services in a timely manner.
We are able to represent both the sell-side and the buy-side in M&A for all types of entities, from small businesses to multinational conglomerates. Our team works seamlessly with seasoned experts in each field to provide clients with comprehensive and timely advice and assistance from the early stages of M&A due diligence to post-deal matters. We are building an ongoing cooperative relationship.
We assist our lender and borrower clients in arranging loans and financing for domestic and foreign companies, advising them on the necessary protection and collateral needs in light of the transaction’s needs. We also assist companies with their financing strategies and execution, advising on loan documents, investment agreements, private placement memorandums and any compliance issues required.
Matters concerning laws and regulations
We have a team of lawyers experienced in handling compliance and regulatory matters, and we represent local authorities and authorities such as the Securities and Futures Commission, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the Mandatory Provident Funds Authority (MPFA) and the Insurance Authority (IA). We handle license applications, compliance issues, and investigations involving regulatory bodies.
Corporate structuring and restructuring
Our team consists of members who are well versed in business, accounting and management, and provide advice and support on corporate structural reforms and restructurings. Key services include, but are not limited to:
- Reorganization of the Board of Directors and changes to the bylaws
- Business transfer between group companies
- Merger of group companies
- Converting from a private company to a public company or vice versa
- Acquisition by shareholders
- Dissolution of partnership
Joint ventures and shareholder agreements
We assist in setting up various forms of joint ventures in Hong Kong, mainland China and other regions. To ensure that the appropriate joint venture structure is selected, lawyers with a strong legal and business background and practical experience analyze the client’s needs, opportunities, legal and business risks, and provide expert advice. We offer advice and support. We can also prepare appropriate shareholder agreements or joint venture agreements for our clients to manage the operations and affairs of the joint venture.
Licensing and franchising are concluded between companies ranging from small business level to multinational corporations with core intellectual property and property ownership. We seek appropriate licensing and franchise agreements to allow rights holders to enforce their rights (usually intellectual property rights) and licensees and franchisees to use their products and services to develop their business.
We work with strong IP teams in making licensing and franchising arrangements to protect our clients’ intellectual property rights.
Corporate governance and duties of directors
In addition, we provide support for individual directors, not the company itself, to ensure thorough corporate governance, advice on disclosure of conflict of interest transactions and related transactions, and advice on reports and notifications stipulated by law.
We support organizations in creating manuals on corporate governance and compliance, and in setting up supervisory committees.
The Corporate Trade Services Division aims to streamline trade transactions by providing global services, especially for SMEs and foreign companies that do not have a physical presence in Hong Kong, in the following areas:
- Factory inspections and background checks and audits
- opening a bank account
- Creation of letter of credit (L/C)
- Receipt of original invoices and packing lists and reissuance of invoices
- Acquisition of pre-shipment inspection, product certification and quality control test results
- Cargo survey audits, including cargo loading and unloading monitoring
- Freight management and freight consolidation
- Assistance in issuing bills of lading and air waybills
- Payment of customs duties and consumption tax and implementation of necessary declarations
- product sourcing
Company formation and related corporate services
Our corporate services team assists Hong Kong and offshore companies to incorporate and foreign companies to set up branches. We also provide high-quality ongoing maintenance for companies, such as bookkeeping, financial management report preparation, and nominee services. In addition, we provide advice on the best accounting process and accounting system for our clients’ business operations, as well as daily accounting operations, tax returns, and annual audits.
Strengths of our firm
Our philosophy is to provide prompt, cost-effective legal solutions and personalized service to our clients at every stage of their business. Accomplished by the firm’s wide range of legal services. We never compromise the quality of the services we provide.
Our clients leave their legal and financial concerns to us so they can focus their resources on building and delivering their business.
It is common to hear that it is troublesome to consult a lawyer. This is especially true if the client also needs to consult lawyers and other experts in different areas of expertise. We provide a full range of services, always take the initiative in coordinating with other professionals, and strive to provide solutions to our clients in a cost-effective and efficient manner and in a timely manner. We act as a one-stop shop for
Our Awards and Rankings
- Tier 3 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Independent Hong Kong Firms – Chambers Greater China Region 2023
- Tier 3 – Commercial and Transactions – Domestic firms – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2023
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2023
- Notable Firm – Corporate and M&A – ALB M&A Ranking 2022
- Tier 3 – Corporate and M&A – Legal Media 360 Brand Sentiment Index 2022
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Independent Hong Kong Firms – Chambers Greater China Region 2022
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw Profile 2022
- Tier 3 – Commercial and Transactions – Hong Kong firms – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2022
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2021
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific & Global 2021
- Tier 3 – Commercial & Transactions – Benchmark Litigation
- Other notable – M&A – IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Global 2020
- Highly Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2020
- Band 2 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
- Tier 3 – Commercial and Transactions – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2019