Armed with a team of experienced Hong Kong-qualified lawyers and with close ties to top commercial law firms across the globe, Oldham, Li & Nie’s Corporate and Commercial practice group is well-placed to handle both local and cross-border transactions.
Our clients range from individual, SMEs to international companies and we are especially skilled at offering advice to companies seeking a presence in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
We pride ourselves on the motto of leaving no stone unturned and delivering the highest quality of work product to our clients promptly.
Mergers & acquisitions
We represent all forms of business entities ranging from SMEs to multinational conglomerates on both sell side and buy side in mergers & acquisitions. Our team works seamlessly and has established ongoing working relationship with skilled professionals in different areas to deliver all-rounded and timely advice and assistance to clients in mergers and acquisitions from the initial stage of due diligence to the post-completion requirements of a transaction.
We assist clients as lenders and or borrowers of local and overseas companies in loan and facility arrangements and advise on the necessary security and collateral needs considering the transaction needs. We also assist corporate clients in their capital raising strategies and implementation, including the preparation of loan documentation, investment agreement, private placement memorandum and alike and advising on necessary compliance issues.
We have a team of experienced lawyers dealing with compliance and regulatory matters and constantly deal with matters involving licence applications, compliance issues and investigations involving local authorities and regulators, for example, the Securities and Futures Commission, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority (MPFA) and the Insurance Authority (IA).
Corporate structuring and restructuring
Our team members all have strong business, accounting and management background and we constantly provide advice and assistance on corporate structuring and restructuring which include, but not limited to:
- reconstitution of the board and alternation of constitution documents of company
- transfer of business among group companies
- amalgamation of group companies
- conversion of a private company into a public company and vice versa
- spinning off of subsidiary companies
- shareholders buyout
- separation of partnership
Joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements
We help to set up different forms of joint ventures in Hong Kong, the Mainland China and in other regions. To ensure that an appropriate joint venture mechanism is selected, our lawyers, who have practical experience in legal and commercial background, analyse the needs, opportunities and legal and business risks for clients and provide their professional advice and assistance. We also assist clients to prepare appropriate shareholders’ or joint venture agreement to govern the management and affairs of the joint venture.
Licensing and franchising
Licensing and franchising arrangements can take place in SME level and even for multinational companies having substantial intellectual property and proprietary rights. We assist clients to prepare appropriate licensing and franchising agreements for proprietary owners exercise and grant their rights, usually intellectual property, to be used by licensees or franchisees in further development of business of products and/or services.
We work with our strong IP team when any licensing and franchising arrangement in the protection of intellectual property rights of clients.
Corporate governance and directors’ duties
Apart from the corporate level, our team also provides assist to directors for their observance of corporate governance, advising on necessary disclosure of conflicting interests and connected transactions and all statutory required reporting and filing requirements.
We constantly assistance organisations in drafting the corporate governance and compliance manual and formation of the supervisory committee.
Our corporate trade services division aims to streamline trade transactions, particularly for SMEs and foreign companies without a physical presence in Hong Kong, by providing global services in the following areas:
- factory inspection and background checks and audits of the factory
- opening bank accounts
- preparing letters of credit
- receiving original invoices and packing lists and re-invoicing the same
- pre-shipment inspections and obtaining product certification and quality control test result
- cargo survey audit including cargo loading and discharging supervision
- freight and consolidation of shipments
- assistance in the issuance of bills of lading and airway bills
- payment of customs and excise tax and making necessary declarations
- product sourcing
Company formation and associated corporate services
Our corporate services team assists clients to incorporate Hong Kong and off-shore companies, and to set up branch offices for foreign entities. We also offer quality on-going maintenance for companies such as bookkeeping and preparation of financial management reports and nominee services. Furthermore, the team is skilled at providing advice on how to tailor the accounting procedures and systems of our corporate clients to best suit its business operations and do provide day-to-day accounting services, tax filing and annual audits for corporate clients.
Our philosophy is to HELP our clients with cost-effective legal solutions and personal attention to their needs at all stages of their business development in a prompt manner and this is achieved through the assistance of our full range of legal services. We never vary our standard of services.
Our clients are able to focus their resources on building and realising their business aspirations while their legal and economic concerns are taken care of.
We understand it is a pain to approach a lawyer! It is even worse if a client needs to approach different lawyers and other professional advisors from different jurisdictions. We offer a full range of services and always take the lead to coordinate for clients with other professionals, for the purpose of getting things done in a cost effective and efficient way and in a timely manner.
Download our brochure here
Our Awards and Rankings
- Tier 3 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Independent Hong Kong Firms – Chambers Greater China Region 2023
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2023
- Notable Firm – Corporate and M&A – ALB M&A Ranking 2022
- Tier 3 – Corporate and M&A – Legal Media 360 Brand Sentiment Index 2022
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Independent Hong Kong Firms – Chambers Greater China Region 2022
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw Profile 2022
- Tier 3 – Commercial and Transactions – Hong Kong firms – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2022
- Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2021
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific & Global 2021
- Tier 3 – Commercial & Transactions – Benchmark Litigation
- Other notable – M&A – IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Band 3 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Global 2020
- Highly Recommended – Corporate and M&A – Asialaw 2020
- Band 2 – Corporate/M&A – Chambers Asia Pacific 2019
- Tier 3 – Commercial and Transactions – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific 2019