Stephen is a litigation partner at Oldham, Li & Nie. He regularly acts for multi-national corporations in Hong Kong-based commercial litigation and international arbitration matters, and has extensive experience in Mareva (freezing) injunctions, tracing and recovery of funds. He also advises on contentious employment and intellectual property disputes.
Stephen was admitted to practice in Hong Kong and New Zealand in 2014 and 2007 respectively, and is an experienced advocate having appeared in various Courts and Tribunals in both Hong Kong and New Zealand.
Stephen is a current member of the Hong Kong Law Society Arbitration Committee.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Cases
- ICC international arbitration acting on behalf of licensee in Hong Kong, Malaysia and South Korea in a licensing agreement dispute with allegations of damages in excess of US$20 million.
- High profile proceedings acting on behalf of liquidators against directors of a Hong Kong publicly listed company claiming breach of fiduciary obligations and director’s duties with damages of over HK$100 million.
- High Court proceedings acting on behalf of shareholder in statutory derivative action alleging unlawful conspiracy by directors to injure the Hong Kong based company with damages of over US$40 million.
- High Court proceedings acting on behalf of a major Korean corporation against HSBC in a claim for negligence
- Mareva (freezing) injunction proceedings acting on behalf of a US company in an internet/email fraud scheme.
- Application for approval of third party litigation funding agreement acting on behalf of trustees of a bankrupt.
- Successful claim for discretionary bonus and development of the implied term of anti-avoidance in Hong Kong (Sunny Tadjudin v Bank of America (HCA 322-2008) and Sunny Tadjudin v Bank of America (CACV 12-2015).
- Springboard injunction proceedings acting on behalf of former employees and Hong Kong based companies in relation to various post termination restrictions.
Intellectual Property Cases
- High Court proceedings acting on behalf of a Hong Kong publicly listed company seeking a permanent injunction to restrain the defendant from using its registered company name and registered domain name.
- Acted on behalf of major international architectural firm against allegations of passing-off and malicious falsehood.
- Represented participant in a ITMA ASIA + CITME exhibition-based dispute with allegations of patent and design infringement in Shanghai, China.
- Application in the High Court acting on behalf of the applicant seeking a declaration of non-infringement of a Hong Kong registered design.