Jonathan is a Partner at Oldham, Li & Nie. He regularly acts on commercial dispute matters involving multi-national corporations and has cross border elements.
Apart from his extensive experience in dispute resolution practice, Jonathan is also experienced in trust and probate matters.
He has acted in a number of high profile landmark cases in the High Court and the Court of Appeal involving shareholders’ disputes, derivative action, debt recovery, civil fraud, insolvency and complex probate matters.
Jonathan obtained his LL.B. degree (Hons) from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Jonathan is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Commercial Dispute Experience
- Acting in a debt recovery action against the borrower and the various securities providers. The collaterals involved include a share charge over a holding company of a hotel project of sizeable value. Claim sum is US$83 million. Successfully obtained Summary Judgment and subsequent enforcement actions including appointment of receiver, examination of judgment debtor and winding up actions. Successfully resisted appeals.
- Acting for a Cayman investment fund in insolvency proceedings, liaising and handling Cayman counsel for a related insolvency action. Acting for the same defendant in an arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong and defending against a Mareva and proprietary injunction in aid of arbitration.
- Shareholders dispute in relation to beneficial title of shares in a PRC Company that is worth US$25 million. Succeeded in defending against stay application by the Defendants at Court of Appeal.
- Derivative action of a minority shareholder in a HK company for having misappropriated the Company’s fund via various suspicious transactions which were not recorded in the Company’s Audited Report. Claim amount is about HK$7 million. Succeeded in defending strike out application by the Defendants. Succeeded in obtaining Wallersteiner costs order against the Company.
- Cases involving injunctions, including injunctions in shareholders’ disputes, fraud cases and internet scams. Successfully obtained Mareva Injunction Orders protecting assets of clients.
- Acting for a Third Party in an Injunction Action where the Third Party is the lender of money to the Defendant. The security being publicly traded shares which were frozen by the Plaintiff which are under Defendant’s control pursuant to an agreement.
- Acting and advising in various civil and commercial dispute matters including disputes regarding trademark infringement, sale and purchase of properties and breach of agreements.
Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Experience
- Representing the administrator of the estate of a high profile individual with a diverse portfolio of assets in multiple jurisdictions
- Applications for ad colligenda bona grants (temporary limited grants for administration of deceased estates) and guardianship for mentally incapacitated persons
- Representing one of the beneficiaries in a high-profile estate planning and trust matter