Barbara joined OLN as a trainee solicitor in 2017, and received training in both non-contentious commercial matters including company restructuring, due diligence, shareholders’ agreement drafting and general commercial matters (including but not limited to other commercial agreements drafting and matters on employment and data privacy), as well as contentious matters involving shareholders’ disputes, commercial disputes, employment disputes, probate matters, family matters and debt recovery.
Admissions and Memberships
Since 2019 Solicitor, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Chinese University of Hong Kong
Postgraduate Certificate in Laws
Chinese University of Hong Kong
Juris Doctor degree with the graduation dean’s list award
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Business Administration degree (double majoring in Economics and Finance) with First Class Honours
- Conduct legal due diligence in various mergers and acquisitions and provide legal advice and assistance on the relevant transactions, including targets conducting businesses in operation of chain restaurants, money lending, etc.
- Provide legal advice and assistance in court-free amalgamation for various clients
- Act for leading multinational banks (as the lead arranger), and provide legal advice and assistance (including drafting / reviewing the guarantee and security documents, advising on the procedures for perfecting and registering the securities, advising on the procedures and drafting the documents required for syndication of the loans etc.) in respect of secured syndicated loans in various leveraged buy-out
- Provide legal assistance to mezzanine lenders in various leveraged buy-out
- Act for a multinational education technology company group conducting businesses in various jurisdictions and provide legal advice and assistance on its restructuring and equity and debt financing
- Act for a Hong Kong company engaged in carnival business, and provide legal advice and assistance on a regular basis for its carnivals and other related businesses in Hong Kong
- Assisted a client with the acquisition of a minority equity stake in a blockchain company by conducting a full scope legal due diligence against the target company
Experience on Other Commercial Matters
- Provide legal advice and assistance on drafting commercial documents to various clients including shareholders agreements, distribution agreements, licensing agreements, repo agreements, call option agreements, terms and conditions, non-disclosure agreements, privacy policies etc.
- Assist in the drafting of employment agreements, employment handbooks and consultancy agreements for various corporate clients
- Provide legal advice and assistance to employers on employment-related enquiries including enforceability of restrictive covenants, termination entitlements of employees, termination arrangement, reporting requirements to government authorities, personal data privacy etc.
- Provide advice to employees on employment-related enquiries including enforceability of restrictive covenants, termination entitlements, remedies in unreasonable and unlawful dismissal cases etc.
- Provide advice to corporate clients on the setting up of their employee stock ownership plans
- Provide legal advice and assistance on drafting / reviewing employment-related documents of corporate employers, including full-time and part-time employment agreements, employee handbooks, consultancy agreements, non-disclosure agreements, data privacy policies etc.
- Advise various companies on issues of transfer of employees in merger and acquisition matters
- Assist employers and employees in application for employment visa
- Acted for a company engaged in SFC-licensed activities in preparing the service contract of one of its accredited licensed representative
- Provided legal advice and assistance to an employee who has been dismissed by his employer to avoid bonus payment and successfully obtained judgment in favour of the employee for the relevant bonus
- Acted for a corporate employer in a matter where one of its ex-employee has misappropriated the funds of the employer and successfully recovered the misappropriated funds from the already departed employee
- Advise on a high profile white-collar crime case which attracts media attention
- Represented a party to a big money divorce case and successfully obtained an injunction order against the other party restraining dissipation of assets
Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Experience
- Represent the administrator of a high-profile estate with assets across the world which attracts media attention
- Advise and assist high net worth individuals with assets across the world to set up trusts for their tax and estate planning
- Successfully assisted clients in obtaining Grant Ad Colligenda Bona (i.e. temporary grant of letters of administration) for cases where administration of the estate is urgent
English, Cantonese and Mandarin