Jonathan is a senior associate at Oldham, Li & Nie. He regularly acts on commercial dispute matters involving multi-national corporations and has cross border elements.
Apart from his extensive experience in dispute resolution practice, Jonathan is also experienced in trust and probate matters.
He has acted in a number of high profile landmark cases in the High Court and the Court of Appeal involving shareholders’ disputes, derivative action, debt recovery, civil fraud, insolvency and complex probate matters.
Jonathan obtained his LL.B. degree (Hons) from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Jonathan is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Commercial Dispute Experience
- Successfully defended applications for stay of proceedings based on forum non conveniens in the Court of Appeal case, Waxman & anor v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 956
- Successfully obtained costs variation in favour of client in the precedent-setting case of Waxman & anor v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 1425
- Successfully obtained Wallersteiner Order in the landmark case of Waxman v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 561
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief in cyber-fraud cases in the High Court
- Successfully obtained Mareva / freezing injunctions, disclosure orders and default judgment in “money had and received” cases
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in a debt recovery action recouping over US$80M for client in Pacific Harbor Advisors Pte Ltd & anor v. Winson Federal Ltd & Ors  HKEC 1303;  HKEC 2446
- Acted in various winding up or bankruptcy cases for both applicants and respondents
Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Experience
- Representing the administrator of the estate of a high profile individual with a diverse portfolio of assets in multiple jurisdictions
- Representing one of the beneficiaries in a high-profile estate planning and trust matter