Anna heads OLN’s Tax Advisory & Private Client Departments. She regularly advises on tax issues ranging from tax compliance, planning for tax efficiency and transactional tax structuring.
Apart from her tax practice, Anna is also a Dispute Resolution Partner. Her dual qualification in both law and accounting, coupled with her solid financial and banking background, makes her a perfect litigator for complex commercial disputes especially those requiring forensic accounting and understanding of financials. She has acted in connection with a number of high profile and landmark cases in the High Court and Court of Appeal, involving shareholders’ disputes, debt recovery, civil fraud, derivative actions, contentious regulatory matters, intellectual property disputes and complex probate matters.
Anna is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Tax Advisory Experience
- Advised multi-national insurance broker and hotel chain on group structure to achieve tax-efficiency
- Advised HNWIs on Automatic Exchange of Information and Common Reporting System
- Advised on tax optimization and compliance issue of a merger and acquisition involving issues of China Land Appreciation Tax, Corporate Income Tax and Circular 698
Commercial Litigation Experience
- Successfully defended application for stay of proceedings based on forum non conveniens in the Court of Appeal case, Waxman & anor v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 956
- Successfully obtained costs variation in favour of client in the precedent-setting case of Waxman & anor v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 1425
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in a debt recovery action recouping over US$80M for client in PACIFIC HARBOR ADVISORS PTE LTD AND ANOTHER v. WINSON FEDERAL LTD AND OTHERS  HKEC 1303;  HKEC 2446
- Successfully obtained Wallersteiner Order in the landmark case of Waxman v Li Fei Yu & anor  HKEC 561
- Successfully obtained Mareva / freezing injunctions, disclosure orders, default judgment and garnishee order in a number of cyber-fraud cases
- Acted for shareholders/ creditors/ liquidators in Company Voluntary Winding-up or Court Compulsory Winding-up
- Advising on high profile white-collar crime case
Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Experience
- Representing administrator of a high-profile estate with assets across the world
- Assisted in a high-profile estate planning and trust matter which have attracted intense media attention
- Coping with frustration: does a commercial tenant have a legal justification to not pay rent in the “new normal”?, by Anna Chan (Partner), Martin Tse & Lok Ho (Associate), LexisNexis®️ The New Normal Law Guide 2020
- Businesses: Start up Sale & Purchase by Anna Chan (Partner, Oldham Li & Nie), Victor Ng (Partner, Oldham Li & Nie), Jonathan Chu (Partner, Horton & Wise LLP), Hong Kong Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents, LexisNexis, Second Edition, 2020 Reissue