Victor joined OLN as a trainee in 2013 and was admitted as a solicitor in 2015. Apart from being a Hong Kong qualified lawyer, he is also a member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Prior to commencing his legal career, Victor worked in two of the “Big Four” accounting firms focusing on Hong Kong, international and PRC taxes.
Riding on his dual-qualification which is quite unique in the legal industry, Victor not only assists clients on a broad range of cross-border corporate and commercial transactions (including M&As, due diligence, foreign direct investments in the PRC) and general commercial matters (including employment matters, data privacy and commercial agreements), but also advises clients on international tax planning matters with a focus on transactions and investment involving Hong Kong, PRC and the EU (including permanent establishment and tax treaty issues).
Victor’s clients include multi-national corporations having business presence in various jurisdictions and many startup entrepreneurs.
Victor obtained his LL.B. degree (Hons) and PCLL from the University of Hong Kong. He is a member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Victor is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Successfully assisted a client with its inbound investment into a PRC wholly foreign owned enterprise by conducting a full scope legal due diligence against the target company and drafting the transaction documents
- Successfully assisted a client with the acquisition of a minority equity stake in a blockchain company by conducting a full scope legal due diligence against the target company, drafting the transaction documents and advising the client on the legal framework in Hong Kong relating to cryptocurrencies and blockchain businesses
- Successfully assisted a client with the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a group of target companies which operated a leading chain of mixian restaurants in Hong Kong
- Successfully assisted a Hong Kong company with its acquisitions of majority equity stakes in targets companies across France, Spain, Japan and the PRC, all of which were engaged in the trading of beauty products and devices
- Acting as the legal advisor, on an ongoing basis, to a Hong Kong company engaged in the carnival business for its carnivals and other related businesses in Hong Kong and Singapore
- Successfully assisted clients for them to jointly purchase the entire issued share capital of a target company which held various immovable properties and land in the PRC from a wholly owned subsidiary of an HKEX Main Board listed company, by different phases and by different special purpose vehicles
- Provided legal advice to a Hong Kong investment and asset management company licensed under the SFO (types 1, 4 and 9), including drafting the discretionary management agreement
- Advised various startup companies in different industries on various legal matters, including shareholders’ disputes, employment matters, data privacy, intellectual property rights and tenancy matters, etc.
Tax Advisory Experience
- Provided advice to the luxury hotel group trading under the brand name of “Pavilions” on its aggressive expansion plan in 2015 which included the acquisition and development of lands and hotels in in Amsterdam, Madrid, Portugal, Niseko and Nepal
- Advised a cosmetics group which conducted sales in multinational markets including France and Japan on an optimal holding structure in light of its forthcoming changes of the tax residency of the ultimate individual shareholders
- Assisted a client to lodge a formal objection to the Inland Revenue Department against the taxability of the interest income and foreign exchange gain which were not Hong Kong sourced
- Assisted the client, who is appointed as the Property and Affairs Deputy of an individual by the Court for the individual’s benefit, to consider the law in relation to the guardianship of the individual as well as the tax issues concerning the assets of the individual
- Successfully assisted a charitable organization in Hong Kong to liaise with the Inland Revenue Department and maintain the section 88 status
- Assisted a high net worth individual with his personal tax planning, including considering various options available to the client as well as setting up a trust for him and his family members
- Successfully assisted clients to lodge a claim with the Inland Revenue Department with respect to the tax treatments regarding the ex-gratia payment, statutory severance payment and relocation allowance paid to clients that the termination compensation was not subject to Hong Kong Salaries Tax based on various case laws
- Regularly drafting employment agreements and consultancy agreements for large corporations
- Regularly applying various work visas for employees
- Advised employers on the enforceability of restrictive covenants, termination entitlements and personal data privacy
- Advised clients on the protection of trade secrets and confidential information
- Businesses: Start up Sale & Purchase by Anna Chan (Partner, Oldham Li & Nie), Victor Ng (Partner, Oldham Li & Nie), Jonathan Chu (Partner, Horton & Wise LLP), Hong Kong Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents, LexisNexis, Second Edition, 2020 Reissue