Oldham, Li & Nie is a leading independent Hong Kong law firm. Our commitment is to professional excellence and to tailoring our legal services to the needs of both corporate and private clients.
At OLN, we pride ourselves on having a commercial approach and results oriented outlook. We add value to our clients' business strategies, on time, with no excuses. Our dedication to quality and our attention to detail ensure that our practice groups maintain the highest professional standards and offer practical and tailor made solutions in a cost effective manner.
Much of our work involves cross border transactions or litigation with international dimensions. Our practice group heads are experienced international lawyers who have worked in Hong Kong for many years. This international experience ensures that we can provide our clients with a thorough understanding of the culture of their relevant target market.
At OLN we understand that this is the first step in your legal career so choosing the right firm is very important. We also want to make sure that we choose the right people as we hope they will continue to work for OLN long after qualification.
Being a trainee at OLN is demanding and rewarding in equal measure. It means that enthusiasm, energy, commitment, ambition and an eagerness to learn are essential traits of any prospective trainee. In return for your hard work, you can look forward to quality training, which allows plenty of autonomy and exposure to clients, and a structured career progression after qualification.
By now you’ve probably explored the pages of the website and have a feel for what we’re all about. Founded in 1987, our principal focus is on Corporate and Commercial, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Divorce & Family Law, Insolvency & Restructuring and Private Client Services. We currently have over 30 lawyers admitted to practice in one or more jurisdictions, including Hong Kong, New York, France, Australia and the United Kingdom. With years of experience practicing in Hong Kong and a diverse set of global employees, OLN truly embodies an East meets West culture.
OLN is repeatedly acknowledged as a leading law firm in Hong Kong by the internationally regarded Chambers and Partners and Legal 500. This is testimony to the quality of our clients and the high calibre of work that our lawyers are involved in.
Who Should Apply
- Law graduates who have recently completed their PCLL course, or expect to do so in the near future.
- Upper second class law degree (2:1 or equivalent).
- Excellent English language is a must; written and spoken Chinese is a distinct advantage.
- OLN welcomes both local and overseas applicants.
We want trainees who are commercially minded, confident and keen to take on responsibility. It’s a given that you will have excellent academics, but we also want people with great inter personal skills and a hands on, “can do” approach.
How and When to Apply
We are actively looking for trainee solicitors to join OLN in 2016 and 2017. We have no fixed deadline for applications so we can be flexible as to when you start your training contract. Please send your CV, covering letter and any supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be acknowledged within 2 weeks.
- Conducted by the Graduate Recruitment Partner and a Senior Associate.
- This interview will include a spoken and written assessment to test your legal and language skills.
- Conducted by the Graduate Recruitment Partner and another Partner.
- Upon commencement of your 2 year training contract, you will meet your Training Principal and receive a thorough induction covering the working practices at OLN. You will also be introduce to our Trainee Mentor who is available throughout your training contract to provide advice and guidance.
- At the end of your 3 month probation period you will have a formal review with your Training Principal and the Graduate Recruitment Partner.
- Throughout your training contract you will have quarterly reviews with your Training Principal. These should be used as an opportunity for open and honest feedback to be given by both sides.
At OLN we will not only give you the opportunity to develop and enhance your abilities as a young lawyer but we will also give you opportunities to develop your interpersonal skills, communication, commercial awareness, business development and marketing skills as well. These skills are all critical to understanding the requirements of a business and are necessary for lawyer at OLN to have so that you can fully appreciate our clients’ needs. We encourage all members of staff to attend at least one external networking event per month. This is a great way for you to learn to network and meet people in industries you may be unfamiliar with. We have monthly staff socials and various ad hoc staff events throughout the year which ensures that our people can develop and build relationships with colleagues across the firm. We also hold regular CPD and training events which we require all of our trainees to attend.
The next step is for you to send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. If you have any questions relating to recruitment, please contact our Graduate Recruitment Partner, Gordon Oldham.
You can also download our Graduate Recruitment Brochure here.