Oldham, Li & Nie is a dynamic mid-sized law firm, whose commitment is to professional excellence and to tailoring its legal services to the needs of both corporate and private clients.
Founded in 1987, our principal focus is on Corporate and Commercial, Dispute Resolution, Employment & Immigration, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Tax Advisory, and private client services like family law and estate planning.
We also have a thriving China practice, carried out from our offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai and when necessary, with our associate legal network in China.
We currently have about 40 lawyers admitted to practice in one or more jurisdictions, including France, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
With years of experience practicing in Hong Kong and a diverse set of global employees, OLN truly embodies an East meets West culture.
At OLN we understand that this is the first step in your legal career so choosing the right firm is very important. We also want to make sure that we choose the right people as we hope they will continue to work for OLN long after qualification.
Being a trainee at OLN is demanding and rewarding in equal measure. It means that enthusiasm, energy, commitment, ambition and an eagerness to learn are essential traits of any prospective trainee. In return for your hard work, you can look forward to quality training, which allows plenty of autonomy and exposure to clients, and a structured career progression after qualification.
By now you’ve probably explored the pages of the website and have a feel for what we’re all about. Founded in 1987, our principal focus is on Corporate and Commercial, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Divorce & Family Law, Insolvency & Restructuring and Private Client Services. We currently have over 30 lawyers admitted to practice in one or more jurisdictions, including Hong Kong, New York, France, and the United Kingdom. With years of experience practicing in Hong Kong and a diverse set of global employees, OLN truly embodies an East meets West culture.
OLN is repeatedly acknowledged as a leading law firm in Hong Kong by the internationally regarded Chambers and Partners and Legal 500. This is testimony to the quality of our clients and the high calibre of work that our lawyers are involved in.
Who Should Apply
- Law graduates who have recently completed their PCLL course, or expect to do so in the near future.
- Upper second class law degree (2:1 or equivalent).
- Excellent English language is a must; written and spoken Chinese is a distinct advantage.
- OLN welcomes both local and overseas applicants.
We want trainees who are commercially minded, confident and keen to take on responsibility. It’s a given that you will have excellent academics, but we also want people with great inter personal skills and a hands on, “can do” approach.
How and When to Apply
We are actively looking for trainee solicitors to join OLN in 2019. We have no fixed deadline for applications so we can be flexible as to when you start your training contract. Please send your CV, covering letter and any supporting documents to email@example.com. All applications will be acknowledged within 2 weeks.
- Conducted by the Graduate Recruitment Partner and a member of the Senior Management.
- This interview will include a spoken and written assessment to test your legal and language skills.
- Conducted by the Graduate Recruitment Partner and another Partner.
- Upon commencement of your 2 year training contract, you will meet your Training Principal and receive a thorough induction covering the working practices at OLN. You will also be introduce to our Trainee Mentor who is available throughout your training contract to provide advice and guidance.
- At the end of your 3 month probation period you will have a formal review with your Training Principal and the Graduate Recruitment Partner.
- Throughout your training contract you will have quarterly reviews with your Training Principal. These should be used as an opportunity for open and honest feedback to be given by both sides.
At OLN we will not only give you the opportunity to develop and enhance your abilities as a young lawyer but we will also give you opportunities to develop your interpersonal skills, communication, commercial awareness, business development and marketing skills as well. These skills are all critical to understanding the requirements of a business and are necessary for lawyer at OLN to have so that you can fully appreciate our clients’ needs. We encourage all members of staff to attend at least one external networking event per month. This is a great way for you to learn to network and meet people in industries you may be unfamiliar with. We have monthly staff socials and various ad hoc staff events throughout the year which ensures that our people can develop and build relationships with colleagues across the firm. We also hold regular CPD and training events which we require all of our trainees to attend.
The next step is for you to send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions relating to recruitment, please contact our Director of Operations at 2868 0696.
You can also download our Graduate Recruitment Brochure here.