Articles by Practice Area
- Are you ready for the implementation of the new tax laws in 2019?
- 中华人民共和国个人所得税法修改 - 对您的潜在影响及所需的即时行动
- Excellent Client Feedback from Asialaw Profiles
- Hong Kong has commenced exchanging financial account information with other jurisdictions for tax purpose
- China is Reforming Its Individual Income Tax Rules – Are You Ready?
Probate and Estate Planning
“Double Income No Kids” has been popular since the 80s, and a lot of high-earning couples who choose not to have children are therefore able to afford a more luxurious consumer lifestyle than those with children.Statistics show that, after 30 years, the number of DINK couples is still on the rise.
For those high net-worth couples, it is dangerous to assume that their spouses will inherit everything when they pass away, because in fact that is only the case in respect of their clothes, cuff-links, hang-bags and shoes!
Applications for Probate and Letters of Administration often require production of a number of public documents in order to prove the applicant’s entitlement, such as Certificates of Birth, Death, Marriage and Adoption.
The Hong Kong Probate Registry requires such documents to be properly authenticated if they are issued by foreign authority, in order to ensure their authenticity.
Any person who deals with a part of the estate of a deceased person which is not set out in the schedule or additional schedule annexed to a grant of probate made in respect of the estate commits an offence (section 60J of the Probate and Administration Ordinance, Cap.10).